Monistat is just as effective as the leading prescription treatment in curing a yeast infection and it is the #1 doctor recommended over the counter (OTC) brand.
MONISTAT 3 is a great option for women who want a less concentrated treatment (200 mg of miconazole nitrate) than MONISTAT 1 but don’t want to be bothered with taking a dose each day for a week with MONISTAT 7. MONISTAT 3 offers complete care options that provide both internal and external relief from symptoms in just three nightly doses.
While all prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) yeast infection treatments take several days to achieve a full cure, MONISTAT is just as effective as the leading prescription treatment in curing a yeast infection and it is the #1 doctor recommended OTC brand.
MONISTAT 3 – Dual Action System 3 Day Treatment Cream includes 3 pre-filled applicators with cream treatment and an external itch relief cream.
- Women who want a less concentrated treatment than MONISTAT 1
- Women who don’t want to be bothered with taking a dose each day for a week with MONISTAT 7
- Women who prefer a night time treatment
Not recommended for:
- Women who have never been diagnosed with a yeast infection. Please see your doctor first.
- If your vagina is extremely irritated and you’re experiencing pain, you may want to opt for the less concentrated product like MONISTAT 7.
- -This product must be used overnight so if you prefer a day time treatment, opt for the MONISTAT 1 treatment
See your doctor if:
- Your symptoms don’t improve in 3 days
- Your symptoms persist for over 7 days
The disposable applicators are pre-filled with cream treatment, providing relief. Cream treatment coats the vagina but can be messier than the OVULE inserts, so wearing a pantiliner during treatment is recommended.
Active ingredient: 200 mg of Miconazole nitrate
If this is your first yeast infection, it is important that you talk to your doctor to determine whether an office visit is necessary or whether you should first try an over-the-counter cure. However, if you are in good health and have been diagnosed with a yeast infection previously, it is fine to try an over-the-counter remedy such as MONISTAT®, which begins to relieve symptoms soon after the first dose, with a cure in seven days.
Talk to your doctor before using the product if you:
- Have vaginal itching and discomfort for the first time or never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor.
- Have lower abdominal, back or shoulder pain, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or foul-smelling vaginal discharge, as you may have a more serious condition.
- Have vaginal yeast infections often (such as once a month or 3 in 6 months). You could be pregnant or have a serious underlying medical cause for your symptoms, including diabetes or a weakened immune system.
- Have been exposed to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) that causes AIDS.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Are taking the prescription blood-thinning medicine warfarin (Coumadin).
There are two treatment options. You can either use a topical treatment that goes inside your vagina available over the counter or by prescription or an oral treatment which is a pill you can take available only by prescription
Both treatment options are effective. In this blog post series I’ll show you the MONISTAT 1: 1-Day 1-Dose Treatment, MONISTAT 3: 3-Dose Treatment, and MONISTAT 7: 7-Dose Treatment for vaginal yeast infections, all of which are available without prescription.
It is your preference as to which product you choose. MONISTAT® 1 is a one-day, one-dose product; the medication dose concentration is the highest compared to MONISTAT® 3 and 7. MONISTAT® 3 is a three-day, three-dose product that has a lower concentration of medication per dose. MONISTAT® 7 is a seven-day, seven-dose product that contains the lowest concentration of medication per dose.
It’s important to note, however, that the number associated with each option signifies the days that you’ll need to take the treatment, not the time it will take to cure the infection. While relief from symptoms can be felt as soon as four hours after the first dose with MONISTAT® 1 Combination Pack, most yeast infections take about seven days to be completely cured so it’s important to finish the treatment thoroughly even if you’re feeling better. The concentration of the active ingredient varies with each product, so you should choose the option that’s best for your body. For instance, the 1-day product has the highest concentration at 1200 mg, versus the 7-day treatment’s 100 mg per dose. If your vagina is extremely irritated and you’re experiencing pain, you may want to opt for the less concentrated product, even if it means extending the length of treatment. To relieve symptoms immediately, try an over-the-counter itch relief product such as SOOTHING CARE® Itch Relief
Cream From the Makers of MONISTAT®, which also helps heal irritated skin.
Learn more on our Yeast Infections page.
This blog post is a part of Monistat’s campaign, The Quest To End Unfair Stigma of Yeast Infections. It is not a sponsored or paid blog post.
This product was sent to The Period Blog for consideration for review from the manufacturer. Any compensation received will never influence the reviews, opinions, content, topics or posts made in this blog.
The Period Blog does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, or treatment. Please check with your doctor regarding your personal health care decisions, and seek immediate care in emergencies. The Period Blog is not a substitute for medical or other professional care. If you are experiencing any problems with your period, please see your doctor.
You may be interested in: